Choosing Fabric For a Quilt

ที่ 8:30 AM
By Nancy Bordeaux

For many quilters, the most difficult part of creating a quilt is in choosing the fabric. After you have chosen the pattern for the quilt, the fabric choice must be appropriate for the pattern.

Color and size of design area must be considered. I always choose my outer border and focus fabric first. I consider the block size and the size of the pieces I will be cutting.

The size of the pieces to be cut is important because I want to feature as much of the design in the focus fabric as possible. This will give me the approximate size of the print that I can choose.
For instance, if I have a 9 inch square of the focus fabric to cut, I can choose a larger print. If my square is only 4 inches, I need to find a smaller print for the focus fabric.

Once I have chosen my focus fabric, I will need to find coordinating fabrics to go with it. I need to decide if I want additional small prints or solid fabrics or a combination. It is always a "plus" if your quilt store carries a "group" of fabric.

What this means is that the fabric makers always design several coordinating pieces to go with a focus fabric. It makes your choice much easier because these fabrics are specifically designed to go together.

If you are unable to find a "group" of fabric, always carry a piece of your focus fabric with you to match with coordinating pieces. Remember that you want to "showcase" your focus fabric.
Anything you choose should enhance, not distract, from your focus fabric.

Avoid a lot of "busy" prints together. Look for good contrast. You want to really see the quilt design. Try to pair darks with mediums and lights. Don't stick strictly with the same shade.

When the fabric shades are all the same or very similar, the fabrics tend to blend together and you will lose the pattern design.

Finally, a color wheel can be very helpful in deciding which colors go together. Many quilt and fabric stores carry these and they can show you how to use it.

Happy Quilting! Nancy @ Nana's Pretties
Nancy Bordeaux, author, designer and teacher, has been a passionate quilt lover for over 20 years. Her pattern line, Nana's Pretties, is sold throughout the world. Her patterns are very beginner friendly and have something for everyone. She offers several different projects in each pattern as a value to her customers. http://www.nanaspretties.com
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Nancy_Bordeaux

0 ความคิดเห็น on "Choosing Fabric For a Quilt"

Post a Comment

 

Craft and Hobby Copyright 2007 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez